I’m using windows authentication in an intranet.
The way I am configuring permissions is:
1. Add a login for an individual or group to the instance level security.
2. Set the user mappings for databases I wish to give access, assigning roles.
Predefined database roles:
- db_owner: Members have full access.
- db_accessadmin: Members can manage Windows groups and SQL Server logins.
- db_datareader: Members can read all data.
- db_datawriter: Members can add, delete, or modify data in the tables.
- db_ddladmin: Members can run dynamic-link library (DLL) statements.
- db_securityadmin: Members can modify role membership and manage permissions.
- db_bckupoperator: Members can back up the database.
- db_denydatareader: Members can’t view data within the database.
- db_denydatawriter: Members can’t change or delete data in tables or views.